2002 Cabernet Sauvignon
The fruit for our 2002 Estate Cabernet Sauvignon was selected from two of our vineyards, the Huerhuero and the Jardine, which are planted on the premium clones 337 and 15. All the fruit was handpicked in small lots during the cool of the morning to ensure perfect quality and ripeness. After delivery to the winery, the fruit was destemmed and gently crushed into temperature controlled stainless steel tanks. To preserve varietal character, 40% of the lot was left as whole berries, with pumpovers taking place regularly to enhance color and tannin extraction from the skins. After 14 days of maceration the pomace was gently pressed to lessen the astringency of the finished wine. The wine was then racked into barrels to complete malolactic fermentation. Small amounts of Merlot and Petit Verdot were added to build a more complex wine with better tannin structure. The wine was fined with egg white prior to being bottled.
Enjoy now through 2012.
- Color: Deep cherry red
- Aroma: Intense aromas of plums, and zesty cherry with a hint of spice, smoke and vanilla
- Taste: Ripe, rich and sweet with medium body and great extract; juicy plum and cherry flavors and red currant with hints of tobacco and baking spices; long finish with ripe tannins and good structure
- 92 Points - Beverage Dynamics, September 2006
“Fruit is bright and uplifting; nice structure and length of finish; a surprising value.”
- Double Gold Medal - Florida State Fair International Wine Competition 2006
- Gold Medal - American Wine Society 2006
- Gold Medal - Critics Challenge International Wine Competition 2006
- Silver Medal - San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition 2006
- Silver Medal - Pacific Rim International Wine Competition 2006