Our 2003 Syrah is comprised of a selection of fruit from two of our estate vineyards, Pleasant Valley and Huerhuero. The fruit for this wine was hand picked into half-ton bins over a 10-day period to ensure all grapes had reached ideal maturity. At the winery, the fruit was destemmed and gently crushed into small stainless steel fermenters. A 2-day cold soak preserved the distinct flavors of the varietal. During fermentation, the pomace was pumped over three times a day to extract the optimum amount of color and tannins. At dryness, the fruit was pressed, settled in tanks for two days and then racked to barrels to complete malolactic fermentation. After the final racking, the wine was aged for an additional 14 months in new French oak barrels. During this time we carefully evaluated each barrel prior to making our final blending decision. A small amount of Petite Sirah was blended in prior to bottling to enhance the structure and mouthfeel of the wine.
Enjoy now through 2013.
- Color: Dark garnet with a blue-black tint
- Aroma: Intense black fruit together with deep red berry notes, hints of white pepper, baking spices and vanilla
- Taste: Blackberries and boysenberries together with currants, spice and a touch of toasty oak. Silky and soft with a lush quality, well balanced acidity and ripe tannins; long pleasant finish
- Gold Medal - Japan Wine Challenge 2007
- Robert Rich’s Flavor Notes, September 2007 "Blueberry in the nose; black licorice and some dusty minerality; smooth caramel notes in the finsih. Low tannin, velvety yet not overripe. An excellent value.