Sy•rée [se-rey] n. derived from Syrah and “cuvée” (blend)
The 2007 Paso Robles harvest season was one of the best of this decade. It was a unique year for winegrape growing, with low yields, great concentration with ripe flavors, good acidity, and flavorful fruit.
The grapes for our Syrée are selected from two highly regarded vineyards; Syrah from Ryan Road and Petite Sirah from Creston Valley, both in southeastern Paso Robles. Located at an elevation of 1,600 feet, Ryan Road Vineyard features soils rich in limestone. While Creston Valley Vineyard is a well exposed hillside with warm growing conditions, sandy soil with elements of limestone.
The lots were pumped over during fermentation and kept on the skins for up to 15 days to extract the maximum amount of color and tannins. Some small Syrah lots were fermented in open top oak barrels, building up the structure of this wine. After being transferred to 100% French oak barrels, the two wines were blended the following spring and put back into barrels for an additional year.
Enjoy now through 2017.
- Color: Dark ruby
- Aroma: Intense, ripe black fruit, dark chocolate with toasty oak and bacon accents
- Taste: Earthy, meaty character with notes of allspice. It is rich, lush and very integrated with a smooth finish and lively tannins.
- Top 10 Wine of the Week - Steve Heimoff, July 9, 2010
- Wine Pick of the Week - Kathy Marcks Hardesty, New Times, July 8, 2010
- Best of Class, Gold Medal - Central Coast Wine Competition 2011
- Silver Medal - Beverage Testing Institute World Wine Championships 2011
- Gold Medal - Critics Challenge 2011
- Gold Medal - Orange County Fair Wine Competition 2011
- 90 Points, Silver Medal - CA State Fair Wine Competition 2011
- 92 Points - Wine Enthusiast, December 2010
- 91 Points - The Rhône Report, Issue #6
- Silver Medal - Monterey Wine Competition 2010
- Silver Medal - San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition 2010
- Silver Medal - Winemaker Challenge International Wine Competition 2010
- Silver Medal - Dallas Morning News and TexSom Wine Competition 2011