Chocolate Ganache with Salted Caramel Sauce
November 5, 2015
- Canola oil
- 12 ozs Dark chocolate (70%)
- 1 cup Butter, unsalted
- 4 Eggs, large, separated
- 8 Egg yolks, large
- 1 cup Confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1/3 cup Cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup Heavy cream
- 2 tsps Granulated sugar
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1 cup Water
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Heavy whipping cream
Directions - Terrine
- Lightly oil a six cup terrine mold or loaf pan. Line mold with plastic wrap.
- Melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler over barely simmering water, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Add egg yolks to cooled chocolate mixture, stirring to combine. Sift together confectioners’ sugar and cocoa and stir into the chocolate mixture.
- Beat cream in bowl of electric mixer until soft peaks form. Transfer to another bowl and refrigerate until use.
- Beat egg whites with sugar in clean bowl of electric mixer until soft peaks form. Fold into chocolate mixture, then fold in whipped cream.
- Pour into terrine mold and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 12 hours (terrine may be prepared up to three days in advance).
Directions – Salted Caramel Sauce
(use last 4 ingredients)
- Combine sugar and water in a small sauce pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until all water has evaporated and caramel color is achieved.
- Working quickly, add cream while whisking the mixture. Once the cream is completely incorporated, add salt and bring back to a boil.
- Remove from heat and cool down (do not refrigerate!). Use when ready to serve.
- Serve terrine with sauce and garnish with chopped almonds.