2012 Petite Sirah
Petite Sirah has been a classic grape planted and grown in California for more than a century and is well suited to the limiting soils found in our estate vineyards in Paso Robles.
The fruit for our 2012 Petite Sirah was handpicked in the early morning and sorted to ensure quality and uniformity of ripeness. Afterwards, the fruit was destemmed and gently crushed into temperature controlled stainless steel tanks. Pump-overs took place regularly to enhance color and help extract tannins from the skin. After pressing, the wine was racked into barrels to complete malolactic fermentation and aging. While the majority was aged in French oak, we also used some American and Hungarian oak barrels for added nuances and complexity. Upon extensive blending trials after 8 months of aging, the final lots were selected and blended for overall synergies - structure from Creston Valley, minerality and spice from Huerhuero, and silkiness from Jardine Vineyard. The blend was then aged for an additional 12 months in barrels to fully integrate before bottling. The result is a wine displaying complexity, structure, richness, and balance.
Enjoy now through 2020.
- Color: Dark garnet
- Aroma: Black cherry with hints of vanilla and mocha
- Taste: Full-bodied with notes of juicy dark fruit and integrated, meaty tannins
- 90 Points - Vinous, September 2015
- 90 Points & Gold Medal - Sommelier Challenge 2015
- 92 Points - The Tasting Panel, December 2015
- 93 Points - National Wine Review, January 2016
- 89 Points - Wine Enthusiast, May 2016
- 89 Points - steveheimoff.com, September 2015
- Gold Medal - Sunset International Wine Competition 2015
- Gold Medal - Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo International Wine Competition 2015
- Gold Medal & Best of Class - Central Coast Wine Competition 2015