2013 Cabernet Sauvignon
The fruit for our 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon was selected from two of our estate vineyards in Paso Robles – Huerhuero and Creston Valley. Huerhuero, in the hilly terrain between the El Pomar and Geneseo Districts, benefits from the moderating Pacific breezes that blow through the Templeton Gap in the afternoon as well as its limiting calcareous subsoils. Creston Valley Vineyard has picture perfect high terrain southern exposure and shallow soils with noticeable granulated limestone. Both of these vineyards produce Cabernet Sauvignon with an overall balance of expressive flavors and structure.
All the grapes were handpicked and sorted in the early morning to ensue quality and uniformity of ripeness. Afterwards, the fruit was destemmed and gently crushed into temperature controlled stainless steel tanks. Pump-overs took place regularly to enhance color and help extract tannins from the skin. After pressing, the wine was racked into barrels to complete malolactic fermentation. While the majority of wine was aged in French oak, we also used some American and Hungarian oak barrels for added nuances and complexity. After 8 months of aging and extensive blending trials, some Petit Verdot was added to enhance the wine's structure. The final blend was then aged for an additional 12 months in barrels to fully integrate before bottling.
Enjoy now through 2025.
- Color: Dark garnet
- Aroma: Cassis with hints of fine tobacco, sandalwood and spice
- Taste: Full-bodied with dark cherry fruit; sweet, rich and chewy tannins linger into the finish
- 89 Points - Wine Enthusiast, April 2016
- 89 Points - Vinous, September 2015
- 90 Points - Tasting Panel: Blue Reviews Extra, December 2015
- 91 Points - National Wine Review, January 2016
- 90 Points - Food & Beverage World, April 2016