Älpermagronen (Swiss Mac n' Cheese)
October 5, 2016
A traditional Swiss dish made from pasta, potatoes, cream, cheese and onions.
- 20 ozs potatoes (cut into ½ inch cubes)
- 7 ozs macaroni
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 4 1/4 cups milk
- 3 1/2 ozs ham (cut into ¼ inch squares)
- 3 1/2 ozs Gruyère or Appenzeller cheese, grated
- 2 tbsps butter, unsalted
- 1 lb onions, cut into fine rings
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp maizena (corn starch)
- nutmeg and pepper
- Add potatoes, macaronis, salt & milk to pan. Bring almost to a boil, reduce heat & let simmer under occasional stirring until potatoes reach desired softness & pasta is “al dente.” Mix in ham & cheese. Transfer into a casserole dish.
- Melt butter in a frying pan. Add onions & bronze. Add broth & water. Bring to a short boil, then reduce heat & let simmer for 1-2 minutes. Stir in Maizena & let simmer for about 1 minute or until mixture thickens slightly. Add onions to the macaroni.
- Season with nutmeg and pepper to taste.
- Serve apple sauce as a side dish