Braised Lamb Shanks
November 19, 2015
- 6 lamb shanks
- 2 tbsps butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 brown onions, chopped
- 9 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 can tomatoes, whole and peeled
- 1 bottle Vina Robles Petite Sirah
- beef stock (equal parts wine to stock)
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- Open a bottle of Vina Robles Petite Sirah and pour yourself a glass!
- Sear all sides of shank in a sauté pan with butter; season with salt and pepper.
- Heat up a roasting pan on the stove and sauté onions, carrots, garlic and olive oil until cooked and a little brown. Add tomatoes, red wine and the same amount of beef stock as well as the fresh herbs. Add the shanks and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer until tender, approximately two hours (you can simmer either on the stove or in the oven at 300 degrees). When tender, remove shanks and set aside.
- Using the same roasting pan, reduce liquid from the shanks until it forms a sauce-like consistency.
- Serve sauce over shanks and enjoy together with the rest of the Vina Robles Petite Sirah.
- Serve with risotto or roasted potatoes.